2.17.2006

what's your body age?

i recently joined a fitness center, and have been trying to work out three days a week. so far i’ve done fairly well. when i signed up, i was given the opportunity to have a fitness evaluation taken, as well as an appointment or two to learn how to use any of the machines that scare me. (for me, this is almost anything related to weights.)

my fitness evaluation took place this past wednesday evening. after filling out a form telling them that i haven’t worked out in, oh . . . five years . . . and that there is a history of heart-related deaths in my family, and that i am starting to work out primarily to tone up, lose weight, boost energy, and just be more fit over-all, i was introduced to mathias, who brought me into a room with a scale, an enormous body-fat-discerning machine (eek!), and a computer. he inputted all my basic information, took my resting pulse and my blood pressure, measured my height (i’m only five-six-and a half? i was sure i was five-seven!) and weighed me (like i’m gonna tell you that), and then had me do three exercises.

first, i had to stand on the scale again, and he handed me a handlebar attached to the scale by a cord. i had three tries to pull up as hard as i could on the bar. my highest number was my best score. i thought that was odd. why wouldn’t it be an average of the three? no idea. anyway, this tested my bicep strength. i was just slightly above average.

second, i had to sit on the floor with my legs outstretched in front of me, and he handed me another handlebar, this one attached to a zip-line of sorts, leading straight in front of me. i again had three tries, but this time i had to lean forward as far and as fast as i could without bending my knees. this tested my flexibility. again, i was above average.

finally, he gave me the option of running or walking a mile as fast as i could, followed by the taking of my active pulse. i chose to walk the mile—twelve laps around the track—and did so in thirteen minutes.

after all was said and done, he gave me a printout of my results. according to that piece of paper, i have a “body age” of twenty-five as compared to my chronological age of thirty-three. while i am very quick to correct anyone who says this means i have the body of a twenty-five-year-old, i’ll take it!

5 comments:

Scott said...

Wow! Sounds like you're not as bad off as you may have thought! I hope the gym works well for you. I joined a club here in town oh...4 years ago?...and it's great. Just keeping your energy level up, I think makes a world of difference. You get to a point where, if you DON'T get to hit the gym, for whatever reason pops up, you get crabby. At least that's my experience.

Another thing I think is really important, too, is what you eat. I've only really started focusing on this more the last year or so. For example, I never used to take time for breakfast. Now, I found Clif bars! They're a sort of meal replacement/energy bar. I'll grab one of those and an apple and I'm good to go! Clif bar makes Luna bars too, I think. They're more geared towards women's nutrition - not that I have any idea how it's different from men's...

Anyway, good luck!

Ann-Marie said...

luna bars . . . i've heard of 'em but never had them. clif bars, yes. i ate those a lot when i biked more regularly and when i did the 3-day walk. they're not cheap, though, are they? eating healthy is my next step.

Ann-Marie said...

i looked for them at my grocery store last night, but couldn't find them. i did find something called a pria bar. it's not necessarily an energy thing, but it's a low-carb treat. i bought one, just to see what type of cardboard it tastes like. ;)

Scott said...

I get them, believe it or not, from Amazon. You can find them there on sale cheaper than anywhere else - $10.99 for a box of 12.

Ann-Marie said...

hilarious!