6.09.2008

June 9, 2008: One year

It's hard to believe, but today is David's and my first anniversary. Where the past year went, I do not know.

We got a jump-start on the celebration, going to Ravinia to see/hear James Taylor on Saturday night. It was a stormy, wet night, but we had so much fun. It was definitely a night we won't forget.



My mom and dad joined in the celebration, inviting us over for a delicious London Broil dinner last night, and giving us very thoughtful gifts: a photo album to fill with pictures from our upcoming trip to Sweden (which begins three weeks from Wednesday--yikes!), and a journal to take notes of what we do each day while we're there.


This morning before I left for work, David and I exchanged our gifts. I gave him some super-fun cufflinks made from Scrabble tiles, one with each of his initials. As for me, he went above and beyond and gave me a second wedding band, identical to the one he gave me a year ago today.





During the morning, I surprised David by having my dad leave a gift including a card, a jar of his favorite Jelly Belly flavors, and a gift certificate to a local burger joint in his office. He was especially surprised because he had left his office to get coffee, and when he returned, my dad -- who had gotten one of David's co-workers to open his office -- had left the gift bag on his desk. Score one for Ann-Marie!


Tonight, when I arrived home from work, a dozen red roses were in a vase on our coffee table (and our friend Cara was in the living room, too, but that's a whole other story!), and there were three calla lilies in a vase on the television cabinet. After Cara left, we walked to our favorite dinner spot, Tre Kronor, and enjoyed a delicious meal, which we followed up with a viewing of (can you believe how addicted we are?) The Office. While we watched, we sipped a glass of Whidbey Island Pinot Noir that we bought on our honeymoon and took a few bites of our wedding cake, which, thanks to an amazing wrapping job by my mom and sister-in-law, tasted nothing like freezer.




Happy first anniversary to us! Here's to many more!

11 comments:

Kelly said...

Hooray! Happy anniversary! Here's to at least 50 more.

simplicity said...

Happy Anniversary! I love the ways you celebrated and treated each other. So sweet!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! I remember fondly the wonderful events of your wedding - what special memories! Sounds like you celebrated this special day really well! Best wishes to you both,
Val

Nicole said...

Congratulations on one year of wedded bliss! I was at the James Taylor concert Sunday, too - soaking along with you! It's not shocking we didn't see each other, though - there were only, what, 800 ka-zillion other people there?!?!?

Melissa said...

Here's to many more, indeed. Happy anniversary!

Alli said...

Happy Anniversary!

mar said...

congratulations!
i celebrated your anniversary by being in a wedding yesterday.

Stuart Shea said...

That's so great...happy anniversary to both of you. Many more.

Unknown said...

Thought of you and David on the 9th with wonderful memories of a beautiful, warm, loving celebration of your marriage. Blessings as you go on to make it two!

Audrey said...

Happy Anniversary, dears! I'm so glad that you celebrated in such thoughtful and special ways. Congratulations!

PS - your ring looks gorgeous!

Quebecca said...

Happy Anniversary, Ann-Marie! I'm so glad that you're so happy! And, the ring is beautiful. Good job to Dave :)