12.23.2008

In the bleak midwinter

In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan.
Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone.
Snow had fallen, snow on snow.
Snow on snow.
In the bleak midwinter, long ago.
- Christina Rossetti, 1872

Going to the gym is tough in this weather. Not only does it take longer to get the car to a drivable state, it's just plain COLD! I was not so good last week -- I only went twice -- so I decided to try to make up for it this week.

Then the temperatures went sub-zero on me. I thought about going on Sunday morning before church, but that didn't happen. And when I heard the temps were going to be pretty much the same yesterday, I didn't even entertain the notion. But I went today. Granted, it was 29 degrees when I woke up, which seems like a heat wave right now, but I went.

I picked up a couple of guest passes this morning, too, thinking that maybe Laurie (who works out at a gym that requires a two-bus trip) or my sister-in-law Susanna will want to join me at least once over the next week.

In the meantime, I can relax, knowing that, after one last trip to Borders today, where we have a gift on hold for one of our family members, we will be d.o.n.e. with our Christmas shopping.

Merry Christmas Eve Eve!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes.. the trials of this lovely weather we've all been having up north! It does make getting around quite obnoxious. Today our almost two feet of snow finally started to melt but we're suppose to get more tonight. Um, seriously? Oh well, I keep asking for a White Christmas so God must be answering all my requests through out the years at once. My biggest fear is the other drivers when I'm out. Glad you're making it around a little bit and yay for being d.o.n.e. with Christmas shopping!!! I am too. :)